Thursday, August 18, 2016

10th Post: Mersing

"You'd try to ride the East Coast of Malaysia via Mersing! That one best ah!"

That was what my motorcycle instructor shared during my Class 2A theory preparatory class. He said it with such excitement, it almost felt like there is no other route better than the East Coast! That was the first time I heard the name of that small town.

About Mersing:
Mersing, is a touristy spot! There are more tourists there than I initially expected. Though it is not as crowded as Malacca and Kuala Lumpur (or Port Dickson for the matter), there is still a significant number of tourists roaming the area. They are mainly caucasians and europeans if you ask me.

Mersing Town Centre

Interacting with the locals, I've learnt that these are "seasonal tourists". They will only visit the town when the tide is low enough for diving activities on Pulau Tioman. Hotel and restaurant businesses boom during the period (roughly March to October). However, when the tide rose and Pulau Tioman closes it doors to tourists, the town will return to its usual cosy state.


Refuelling in Mersing during my most recent trip up, 13th August, 2016.


The town is so small, there is only one primary school and two secondary school. Most of the population are Malays, however, there is also a reasonable number of Chinese residents there in the "new town" (or otherwise known as “新村”). This new town is located along Jalan Besar and Jalan Lamma, a short drive from the town centre (which is a round-a-bout).

The highest peak in Mersing is the site of a mosque: Masjid Jamik Bandar Mersing.
From there, you'll be able to see the entire town of Mersing.

The main religions in Mersing are: Islam and Moral Uplifting Society (德教会).
There are only two Christian Churches in Mersing: Gereja Presbyterian Mersing and Gereja Kristen Xian.

Fun fact 1:
If you ever think of getting into a relationship in Mersing, think again. The town is so small, every one knows each other and if you plan to ask someone out for a meal, your parents would have known before your meal is even finished. ;D

Fun fact 2:
Most people don't lock their doors in Mersing. You can literally walk into your neighbour's house without knocking or ringing the bell. The town is so small that everyone knows each other, everyone trusts one another.
And if there's a foreigner in town, the entire town will be notified.

Why Mersing:

After conquering the South Western coast of Malaysia, I was determined to go the other direction: The East. After listening to the sharing of my motorcycling instructor for my Class 2A, I was all the more encouraged to visit the Eastern village of Mersing in the hopes of exploring further from there.


Riding Log:
My first ever ride into Mersing was really, a leap of faith. My first ever time riding,... Not on a normal highway. I have absolutely no clue what is to come, how dark the roads will be, how scary the roads will be, what the road conditions will be, etc. I knew nothing.


First ever ride into Mersing: 6th July 2016 (Hari Raya Puasa).

Bike used: Honda MSX 125
Average Riding Speed Daylight (in the straights): 85 - 95KPH.
Average Riding Speed Daylight (in the bends): 60 - 70KPH
Average Riding Speed Night (in the straights): 80 - 90KPH.
Average Riding Speed Night (in the bends): 50 - 60KPH.

Point A - 1615H - Left Home
Point B - 1720H - Crossed Woodlands Customs
Point C - 1740H - Pumped Shell V-Power, 3RM (Jalan Pandan).
Point D - 1930H - Reached Eelo Restaurant
I originally intended to visit Loke Tien Yuen Restaurant, however it was closed when I reached.
Total Time Taken: 2 hours, 10 minutes (from Checkpoint).

Pumped Shell 95 at Ling Kaw Mee Shell Station, Mersing, because there was absolutely no V-Power left (that's my interpretation of what the petrol kiosk personnel is trying to say via hand signals because I can't speak Malay and he can't do English). So I knowingly, and legally, broke the law. No matter, I pumped full tank: 3.10L, 5.45RM.

Riding Notes:
  • Roads are generally straight and level all the way to Kota Tinggi.
  • After Sungei Mawai, roads start to meander.
  • Road meander more after Jemaluang.
  • Keep far away from road shoulders because it is littered with dead animals, portholes, tree branches, and bricks.
  • If there are two lanes, stay on the outer lane because the left lane is often extremely uneven and dangerous to ride on.


Food:
The food at Eelo Restaurant is honestly, not worth it. Compared with Singapore, I honestly believe you can get better food in Singapore. Note: Having been to Mersing for multiple trips, I still don't fancy the food there, the only thing I enjoyed was the ride.

Side note: Mersing is famous for their seafood. But it is really hard for me to enjoy it alone. 

Riding into the Sunset, en route to Mersing. 

Finally Reached Mersing Town Centre, Eelo Restaurant

Special Roasted Pork, with Rice. Really, not fantastic. And incredibly expensive.
15RM + 1.5RM (rice). Totally not worth it.

 Eelo Restaurant Menu

Hari Raya Puasa Decorations in Mersing

During my trip there, I rode around Mersing in search for a cafe to chill because visiting a restaurant isn't enough! I reached Mersing after sunset, because of that, I figured it wasn't safe to visit the Beach. (wasted). But I was greeted with random displays of fireworks (I couldn't capture them in film because it was really random). Residents there are allowed to fire their own fireworks from their homes in celebration for Hari Raya.

#BringingCafeHopingRoAWholeNewLevel

Cafe 71 Seventy One Coffee House.

I did not order a lot. The cafe was filled with a good mix of europeans and locals. I really loved the ambience in the cafe. The decos and whatever not. It's welcoming!




My Humble Grombie Celebrated its 9,000th Kilometre in Mersing!

The Ride Home

2245H - Left Mersing (71 Cafe)
0045H - Reached Shell, Pasir Pelangi. Total distance travelled from Mersing to Johor Bahru: 137KM. Total petrol consumed: 2.7L (2 bars dropped). 

Fuel efficiency: 50.74KM/L.
Average speed home from Mersing: 65 - 80KPH.
Total time taken: 2 hours (to Shell, Pasir Pelangi, right before Woodlands Checkpoint).

0125H - Reached Home.

Riding Notes:
  • Ride slow especially after nightfall.
  • The turns are sharp. Some of them are what I consider as "hair-pin turns".
  • Only overtake when the road is straight and you're sure there's no vehicle in the opposite direction.
  • Do not overtake in a bend.
  • Do not overtake when there are a series of bends.
  • It is better to ride slow and stay behind a vehicle at night. Keep a safe following distance.
  • Follow the front vehicle's tyre tracks. Do not ride in the centre of the road for you may not know if there are portholes.
  • Do not overtake using the road shoulders. You never know what lies ahead.



Road Conditions at Night

Concluding Thoughts:
I truly enjoyed my ride up to Mersing. Though it wasn't as awesome, the roads aren't the best, the sceneries aren't the most gorgeous I've seen, but it truly is one of my most humbling riding experience.

I have spent the most time in this small fishing village. It is the cosiest place I've been to in Malaysia thus far. The culture in Mersing differs a great deal from what we are accustomed to in Singapore.

But that's what riding is all about, isn't it? Engaging and mixing with the people at every location. Experiencing the culture, emerging in the journey. Feel the texture of the road, smell the food from roadside stalls, and indulging in what nature throws at you.

Snippets from one of my most recent ride to-and-fro Mersing

"People say when you drive, you're watching a movie. But when you ride, you're in the movie."

Ride safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment