Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Eighth Post: Riding a Bike is a Lifestyle

This post is dedicated to Singapore Cool Riders (SCR) and the awesome group of people I've met through facebook who share common interests in riding small motorcycles, namely the MSX and PCX.

There are so much about riding that I still cannot fathom. And with each passing day, my knowledge of riding shapes my life continuously.

My initial take on riding was a selfish mode of transport. Think honestly, no one likes riding with a pillion. Not like the pillion will enjoy the ride, most of my friends / family members are in fact, petrified at the idea of riding pillion on any bike... So you commute around the City on your cozy machine, arriving at the destination before everyone else while everyone else is stuck in the craze of public transport. When they're sharing laughters and time together, you wait for them at the designated destination, with no one to accompany you...

My ride beyond the comforts of the Singaporean border further amplified this emptiness within me. Through my many rides, I get to experience joy beyond comprehension, freedom that knows no boundaries. The ability and the power to go wherever I want at a twist of a throttle. The flight through and beyond the urban jungle into the natural one, and into a distant town or city. The tremendous joy and liberation that the motorcycle bring... Unimaginable.

Yet, I was unable to share this piece of joy, with any of my loved ones.
Well, even if I did, it was pretty much unappreciated.


Overlooking the Pontian Seaside, alone.

But thanks be to God, my humble sharing of my #miniroadtrips opened up the doors for me to join a facebook group: Honda MSX Riders Club of Singapore. And in fact, this is only one of the many riding groups out there!

Suddenly, a whole new horizon opened up. People with similar interests and passion, gathering together to share about motorcycling. People, from all walks of life, each with a very unique story to tell. You simply would not know who you are going to meet! The person riding next to you may be a boss of a company, or an army personnel, or a doctor, or a chef, or a house wife,... You really would not know!

What I truly like about these groups are the fact that they are so closely knitted. Okay, those who chooses to participate actively are closely knitted by choice. They share things about weather updates, to great promotional bargains. We even have riders out there who own motorcycle workshops who can share great discounts and bargains when it comes to bike maintenances. Lets not forget we have people who are restaurant owners who offers great discounts too to people within the motorcycling groups.

I'm not saying that I join these groups for these offers and discounts. I wouldn't have known too. But in all honesty, it is the shared passion and interests for riding that bond the people together. And it is in these gathering that we share whatever we have with one another, be it businesses, or personal experiences. We grow, bond, and live together.

Singapore Cool Riders' Outing to Geylang Bazaar

What I truly admire and treasure in these motorcycling groups are its helpfulness towards group members. Motorcycling, is no doubt a dangerous sport. However, it granted me an elevated sense of humanity. In fact, it alleviate sufferings from those who suffered due to accidents. There were a few occasions whereby a group member encountered an accident, those who are around him/her immediately rushed to the scene to help. The rest prayed for the injured on our own accord. Whatever faith we believe in, we prayed for them.

Now, there is one thing I must clarify because someone once told me that "Motorcycling groups are dangerous". MOTORCYCLING GROUPS ARE NOT THE GANGSTERS OF THE PAST. Even if they do exist in Third World countries, the groups in Singapore are mainly filled with nice people who never discriminate or cause harm to others, in fact we only help each other and exhibit the positive side of humanity.

In time to come, we do also organise road trips up north to guide those who are afraid to ride across the causeway to experience the vast open roads beyond Singapore soil.

My first Meet-up with Singapore Cool Riders

So riding friends out there, if you haven't yet joined any motorcycling groups, what are you waiting for! Just find one and join already! My idea of riding changed completely when I met these people. You'll be amazed how life will change if you haven't already!

No comments:

Post a Comment