Monday, July 25, 2016

Seventh Post: Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur has been a very important landmark in the South East Asian map. The capital city of Malaysia seem so close to Singapore on the map, yet it felt so distant to many at the same time.

Many shrug at the thought of going the distance. Most would even opt for the option of flying between the two major cities instead.

As for myself, I did not give much thought to whether or not the journey on a humble underpowered motorcycle would be tough or even treacherous. The immense freedom the two wheeler gave was my only motivating factor. The decision was set, and I'm on my way. I headed to Kuala Lumpur for lunch and was back before the day ended on the 8th June, 2016.

All set and ready to go!

My Odometer's Reading before Setting Off for KL.
Odometer Reading: 6552KM. 

My Travelogue is as follows:

Kuala Lumpur Bound.
Total Time Taken: 5 Hours.

09:45 - Point A - Depart from Home for Tuas Causeway.
10:05 - Point B - Reached Tuas Checkpoint
11:22 - Point C - Reached Machap Northbound R&R for Petrol. - Topped 6RM of Petrol, 2.9L.
13:00 - Point D - Reached Ayer Keroh Northbound R&R for Petrol. - Topped 7.2RM of Petrol, 3.5L.
14:15 - Point E - Reached Petaling Puchong Petrol Kiosk after Plaza Tol Sungai Besi. Topped 5RM of Petrol, 2.4L.

Fuel Stop at Petaling Puchong, Petronas, KL.

14:40 - Point F - Reached KLCC... and Parked!

KLCC Parking Ticket for Motorcycles. 

Parked Safely in KLCC!

There is something quite peculiar about KLCC that I don't get everywhere else. Every single motorcycles you see here are locked with more than one disc lock and a chain. Some of them also have a sticker stating that they're equipped with GPS tracker and alarm. Not sure if they're real or fake, but the security of this complex does send chills down my spine.

At every corner, there are more than one CCTV and there are also quite a number of security guards patrolling the area. Despite all these security, and the 2 bicycle locks that I have brought with me, I somehow don't feel safe having my Grom parked within the complex. So I headed off for a short ride around central KL for food!

15:00 - Left KLCC.

You can't go to KL without a selfie with the Twin Towers! 

The Twin Towers are too tall for a combined shot with the Grom despite me kneeling down at a very weird angle. This is the best of my ability - a shot with half the tower.
My Humble Grom has made it!

Had the luxury to ride around aimlessly given the not-so-heavy traffic when I was there. The weather was perfect with slight drizzles but all was well! In the end, I decided that I will ride to KL Tower and make do with lunch at a touristy spot.

15:15 - Reached KL Towers.

The Grom is here at KL Tower! 

A Trip is Never Complete without a Selfie 

Parked at KL Tower, right next to the security post. Yes, I've still got my locks just in case. 

Lunch: - Nasi Goreng Kampung & Teh Tarik Iced
Not as fantastic though but, I'll make do.

Visited the Upside Down House, KL, right beside the KL Tower. 


They have a really nice garden! 

One last photo before I depart from KL Tower.

Do refer to Map Below for the Detailed Locations of the Points Indicated for my Return Ride.

16:30 - Point A - Departed form KL Tower.

Upon departing, I was immediately roped into the unforgiving KL peak hours traffic.

That's the Petronas Twin Towers in the distance. Traffic was almost standstill.

The return trip was extremely exhausting. Especially, after a long day of riding, my body is starting to feel the physical strain. I took breaks whenever I desperately needed them but throughout the rest of the ride, I simply pushed on.

Note: Motorcycles are not allowed into the SMART Tunnels of Kuala Lumpur. For this ride, I accidentally ventured into one (no photos taken because it was too much of a traumatising experience). The speed limit of the Tunnel if my memory served me well was 60kph. I was riding at 80kph and all vehicles are horning, flashing, and speeding past me within it. Additional note: there's no road shoulder to ride on either within the tunnel. That's got to be the scariest part of my KL ride, ever.

Because of the awesome agility of the Grom, I was allowed to pass by the toll booth without paying nor the Toll Officer lifting the swing arm for me.

16:50 - Finally cleared the traffic and departed from KL.
17:35 - Point B - R&R Nilai Southbound, 5 minutes short break.

5 minutes short break at R&R Nilai

17:50 - Point C - R&R Seremban Southbound, Petrol Stop. 3RM, 1.47L.
18:55 - Point D - Kampung Bemban Layby Southbound, 5 minutes short break.

5 minutes short break at Kampung Bemban Layby Southbound.

19:40 - Point E - R&R Pagoh Southbound, Petrol Stop. 7.20RM, 3.5L.

Petrol Stop at BHP Petrol, Pagoh R&R Southbound.

21:20 - Point FSomewhere in Pulai. Disaster struck.

Somewhere in Pulai, my IU mounting bracket broke in half, probably due to Metal Fatigue.

I guess, this was caused by excessive vibrations and the constant pushing of the machine at 7.5K RPM and higher that have caused this incident to happen. Either way, I was panicking to find a solution to handle this IU that is hanging by a thread. In the end, I emptied my china made handphone pouch off its foam and stuffed my IU into it, hoping that it wouldn't fall out... Well it did not!

Just to add: this mounting bracket which I later found out, is only unique to MAH Motors Pte Ltd. When I wanted to have it changed, LTA was already closed so MAH was the only option for me at the time. But I highly recommend riders to have their mounting brackets changed if you intend to ride long distances. It was pretty dang scary to have the IU bracket snapping and the IU hanging loose at 100kph.

Just another point to add: After a few days, I've realized that my bracket for my rear top box has also cracked. Yes, it was also from MAH Pte Ltd. I've nothing against them really. They knew themselves that it was pretty weak. But then again, if you're attempting to travel long distances like I do, these brackets are prone to suffer from metal fatigue probably due to the intense vibrations that are present throughout the long ride. So if you ever intend to travel far, get firmer, stronger brackets...!

21:40 - Point G - Reached Gelang Patah Shell and pumped the Grom with 10RM worth of Petrol.
21:55 - Crossed Tuas Causeway.
22:18 - Point H - Reached Home!

Finally Home! My Odometer Reading: 7269KM.
That is how I stuffed my IU into the handphone pouch.

T'was concluded my day ride to KL for lunch and how I returned before the day ended! Total Distance Travelled for the Ride: 717KM.

Home Bound.
Total Time Taken: 5.5 Hours.

Got to say, this trip was really about the pushing of my own personally limit. To ride further and longer than I have ever done before. To know my own personal physical limits as well as to realize that there is no such thing as boundaries. Boundaries are all in the mind. You will only know what you're capable of when you break them.

Thank God for this experience and for journey mercies. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment