Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Second Post: Dedication to my Humble Grombie

The Bike:
Honda MSX 125 Grom.
Engine Capacity: 125cc.
Top Speed: 100kph.

After 7 months, and multiple road trips, my Grom has finally hit the 10,000km milestone this morning!

The Grom has reached its 10,000km milestone, this morning!


So because of this, I'd like to dedicate this short post to this wonderful machine!

The Grom has some amazing capabilities and it has so much secrets and surprises for me that I'm often left speechless at it!

For instance, I pumped full tank at Mersing and all it consumed was 2.5L to get to the Shell Petrol Kiosk at Pasir Gudang, right before the Woodlands Crossings. That's only a 2 bars dropped in petrol for 140~160 KM.

The Grom has kept me save throughout the multiple rides, long and short distances, despite having inadequate maintenances. I'm a noob in bike maintenance, really. For instance, I have ridden over 7900km and have never lubricated my chain. And when someone finally told me to do it when he said my chain is seemingly making weird noises when I'm riding, I kindly brushed him off. It was only after a while I decided to try his advices.

Note, I do lube my chain now. The night before every border crossing.

I have insisted to have my warranty card stamped and my constant visit to Boon Siew, using low grade Semi-Synthetic Castrol engine oil for every oil change, seems to have bad implications for the bike. The engine sounded really really rough now though. Shoutout to Vanga: Will Lupromax save my Grom? Despite all these, my Humble Gromie ploughed on through the miles!

The Grom has arrived! Jonker Walk, Malacca, Malaysia.


After surviving all the harshest of road conditions, rampaging through countless portholes, parked in the most illegal of places, suffered cracks and metal fatigue that left many speechless, my Humble Gromie is still going strong!

I guess, the main thing I would like to thank God for is that the Grom has brought me closer to God in my spiritual walk. The fear of the unknown, the screaming engine, the pushing of its limits, the speed wobbles, other vehicles cutting us at high speeds, etc... It has taught me to ultimately depend on God.

Every journey is a walk of faith. Every mile is a prayer. Every ride is an experience.

Through the darkest of roads imaginable, to the interstate North South Highway. From riding within Johor Bahru, to the furthest imaginable places. From safe riding, to my IU falling out and I need to improvise. I wouldn't have learnt this lesson of faith, if not for my wonderful machine.

I often remind myself that the machine is strong, but the squishy wishy bit that controls the machine is weak. Before my petrol gauge even drop a bar, I'm tired already. But then again, the Grom stretches my limited stamina, pushing me to go ever further than where I have already been to.

"There's so much out there to see!"

Sure is, but all it takes was that decision to take that very first step. That motivation and the push. And while we are at it, never think about giving up because we will not know what's ahead that we're gonna miss.

I often shrug at the question of whether will I cross the causeway to explore new grounds. But because of this, my mum will tell me, "do so before the time runs out".

This is #yolo with a purpose. A calling. A leap of faith. A chance, to get out there to see and experience the World. A chance to recognise just how small and how vulnerable we are. Being on a small underpowered bike further amplifies this vulnerability. Everything that we encounter now seems huge. Cars, buses, trucks, over taking us through the mountains. It is touring like no other.

Without the Grom, I wouldn't have dreamt that I will experience all these.

Port Dickson, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia.


Cheers to many more miles with you, my Humble Grombie.

Thank God for you.

My next post will be about my experiences riding around Johor Bahru. What should we prepare at the border crossings and the road conditions over there! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment