Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Sixth Post: The Leap of Faith - Malacca

Many people speak of Malacca as a distant place that one will never think of going unless the journey was made by coaches or by train. Even for those who drives, the journey of about 230km seems daunting, impossible, or even dangerous.

For me, it has been a distance I've been so keen on crossing. So one fine day, on the 28th May, 2016, I've decided after lunch that I'll grab my things, take my Humble underpowered Grom, and headed for the City of Malacca... For the fun of it.

I honestly have to say that there is absolutely nothing I could have done to prepare myself for the ride up to Malacca. The speed of all the vehicles on Highway E2 (North South Highway) forced me to the road shoulder. Riding at a constant speed of 95-105kph have also taught me humility. Letting cars and other vehicles overtake and keeping a safe distances throughout the ride. Problem about the Grom: I will never be able to reach the stipulated speed limit, let alone match those vehicles that are driving alongside me. This made me extremely aware of how vulnerable I am on the open road. 

People often ask me how did I manage the whole journey, staying alert throughout the entire ride, and making sure I'm 101% safe. No, there's nothing I could do but to pray. Let's put it this way: along the highway in a foreign land, it's just you, your bike, and God.


Along North South Highway, near Jorak / Pagoh.
I stopped for a drink and took this photo. I was overwhelmed by exhaustion. I didn't think this would be dangerous until very much later. But thank God, I'm still safe.

Riding alone is a really awesome experience. It is somewhat, spiritual, if you were to ask me. The long journey gave me adequate time to reflect and think about life: whatever that's past and whatever that is to come. The long journey also gave "experiencing God" a whole new meaning. I was forced into "prayer mode" for an extended period of time, appreciating nature as how it is and just doing my personal quiet time on the move.

Riding alone also allowed me to push myself to the limit. By limit, I meant, my personal physical limit and not the bike's. Being alone meant I am not required to stop at every R&R / toilet stops. I was able to push myself further than I ever did before. Personally, I prefer to have my tank topped every time I see a petrol kiosk. But after the trip and after being amazed by the machine over and over again, most of the breaks I took was for me to recuperate.

And just to add, Motorcycles are exempted from tolls in Malaysia. Yay!

My Journey to Malacca in a Nutshell

My route goes like this:

1530H - Reached Tuas Causeway (and realise that the Jam got worse than what was shown on google map / onemotoring...!)
1630H - Finally managed to crossed the causeway.
Somewhere in between (I never took down the time) - Pumped Petrol at Machap R&R North Bound Petronas. 3L, 6.3RM.
1855H - Reached Ayer Keroh Exit
1915H - Pumped Petrol at Shell, Ayer Keroh (opp AEON Melaka). 2.8L, 5.88RM.
1930H - Reached Malacca City.

The Grom has Arrived! Malacca, Malaysia.

I roamed around the city for quite some time, passing by Christ Church Malacca, and other nice touristy spots, and realizing to my astonishment that the jam was beyond comprehension. Most of the streets there were one-way, one-lane. Most jams were caused by tour buses stopping and tourist crossing the road. Thank God I'm on a Grom.

Went to a few places around Malacca and finding myself completely lost. Thanks to the narrow one-way, one-lane streets, if I ever missed a turn, I'm in for some form of trouble. Either I go against the traffic (which isn't a wise thing to do), or I take a freaking huge detour...

Because of this mistake, I did not manage to take a photo of Christ Church Malacca. Okay, it was too crowded there with tourists anyway. But I did take a photo of the Maritime Museum! :D

Maritime Museum, Malacca, Malaysia.

Because of this awesome city layout, I've gotten so lost that I eventually found it more worth it  to explore the city blindly instead of being fixated on getting to a destination. So below are some of my photos from my little adventure around Malacca!

Muzium Umno, Malacca, Malaysia. 
Just to add, this is restricted road. I didn't know it was restricted but I ventured in anyway. Funny why the police(s) in the vicinity never stop me. I only figured that out afterwards when I saw a signboard nearby saying "do not enter".

 Jonker Walk, Malacca, Malaysia.

Malacca River with Melaka Tower in the distance, Malacca, Malaysia 

The trip around town took me roughly 1.5 hours before I eventually settled for a hawker near Jonker. Partly because of its cool street name - Jalan Laksamania. And guess what, their signature dish is actually Laksa! 

Laksa at Jalan Laksamania! How cool is that!
Jonker Street Hawker Centre, Malacca, Malaysia.

 Selfie while waiting for Food.
Jonker Street Hawker Centre, Malacca, Malaysia.

After food, I decided to wonder around the City for the remaining bit of time I've left. That brought me to Malacca River once more. This time, further inland.

 Malacca River near Hotel Sri Kota overlooking De'Shores Residences, Malacca, Malaysia.

Map of all the Places I've been to in Malacca.

My journey back to Singapore was pretty much the same as how I came here. I just followed the exact  same route back to NSH and then headed back home. Below is the break down of my journey back:

2150H - Left Malacca River (the spot shown in the above photo)
2230H - Reached Ayer Keroh Exit, now I'm truly heading home!
2318H - Pumped Petrol at Pagoh R&R Southbound. 2L, 4.10RM.
0035H - Kulai R&R, took 5 mins break.
0110H - Pumped Petrol at Gelang Patah Shell.
0120H - Reached Singapore Custom
0150H - Home!

For this trip, I did not take down the total distance travelled. Neither did really did my proper research prior to attempting the trip. By faith, I left, and I returned safely! Praise God! :)

Nothing could have prepared me for the awesome sight as I entered NSH at night too. The amount of stars that are actually present... If only I could just stop by and count the stars. Really. It is because of this Grom that I get to appreciate the awesome sight at night (I did not get to appreciate any of this riding the 400x).

Given the opportunity, I'll definitely embark on this journey again. But maybe not on the NSH if I were to use the Grom. Maybe I'll take the trunk roads. :)

Either way, the spiritual journey has shown me how amazing this Humble Little Underpowered Machine is. Though it is slow and compact, as long as you have the determination, whatever distance you wish to cover, the Grom will bring you there.

Thank God for the amazing ride! :)

1 comment:

  1. i love how you added little colourful stops for the attraction you visited! :D don't forget to stay safe!

    ReplyDelete