Monday, July 18, 2016

Fifth Post: The Expanding Horizon

My short trip into Bukit Indah not just sparked my ambition to push further. It has also ignited the desire to pursue greater heights through acquiring licenses that will enable me to ride bigger, faster bikes: Class 2A.

Life took a turn, and within a short span of 1 month, I've seen myself crossing the border ever more frequently.

Through these short trips, I've gained multiple experiences and have increased my desire to push myself further. The fear of the unknown diminishes and the drive to push for greater heights ensued.

The ability to share this passion with someone followed quickly. I'm really glad to be able to share my passion for travelling with the ones I love so dearly. Friends and family alike.

MSX at Moonlight Cake Cafe 


MSX at Euro Fun Park, Sutera (near Moonlight Cake Cafe) 


Sharing the Joy of Mini Road Trips with Mum, at Sutera


Sharing the Joy of Road Trips with Dad, at Pontian Kecil

Singaporean Motorcycle Nomad Terence Tay once said, "It's one thing to be able to do something you're passionate about. To share that passion with the person you love, priceless."

Yes, it is indeed priceless. To see the joy in their faces, the enjoyment they felt. To see how my dad stood in awe as he looked upon the open waters of the malacca strait. To feel the joy my mum had when I brought her to Sutera just for a meal on a random trip... Priceless.

It is these trips that helped the people around me realise just how it is like to pull through these feats; to experience what you experience: the sights, the sounds, the smell, the tears, the effort, the pain, and the pushing of limits of our own physical endurance.

It is these trips that gained my parents' approval for me to travel further. To see the World as how it should be experienced - the World we so easily disregard with the busyness of our daily lives.

The Expanding Horizon 1.

In order how my visitations:
From closest to the furthest in the month of April 2016.
1 - Red Marker: Jalan Susur Idaman
2 - Green Marker: Bukit Indah
3 - Yellow Marker: Sutera, Moonlight Cake House
4 - Blue Marker: Pontian Kecil

My short trips have also taught me the importance of speed and safety. It has taught me self reliance and our ultimate dependency on God. In all honesty, on foreign soil, all we have are but the bike, ourselves, and God.

Sure, we have the locals. However, they are people you would not want to depend on given the countless horror stories told by Singaporeans and Malaysians alike. (My apologies if I've offended anyone by saying this. What I meant was, the high theft and robbery rates give Malaysia and JB more specifically, a bad name.)

These short trips have also opened my eyes to see the needs of the World around me. The multiple kampungs that we often neglect. The third-world situations in the countrysides of Malaysia. 

A house in a typical housing estate, Yong Peng. (Taken on my most recent trip with my 400x).
I will share about this in a later post. But this picture is to show the type of houses that I often pass by as I drive pass the kampungs of Malaysia. Note: Not all houses are as dilapidated as this but I've seen many like it.

These trips taught me the importance of contentment. To appreciate the World around me, whatever I enjoy and whatever we have in Singapore. To understand how the World is like on the other side. To see that the pastures are not always as green as one would imagine at the other side.

Standing in Awe of the Spectacle - Lightning and Thunder without Rain.
Tambak Seaside, Pontian Kecil, Johor, Malaysia

In a short time, my rides have given me multiple valuable lessons about humanity. There are simply so much out there for us to see and experience. The awesome sceneries that you don't get in Singapore. The joy of sharing what you love doing. The passion to go further. The pushing of my physical limits. The awesome experiences that awaits to awaken our senses.

But much more than that... There are the many people out there that are less fortunate than us that we often forget to even pray about... No, I did not stop by to talk to the locals. I didn't dare to. But the lesson is burdensome.

With this, I shall end this post with a quote from one of my favourite songs:

"Give me Your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me Your love for humanity
Give me Your arms for the broken-hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me Your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me Your eyes so I can see"
 - Give me Your Eyes, Brandon Heath.

I thank the Lord for giving me the opportunity to see the World as how we have so frequently chose to ignore. To see the needs of the people out there, their struggles and the state they are in. I'm also grateful to be able to experience how it is to drive through the night, the mountain roads, the trunk roads, and the kampungs; seeing the World like I've never seen before.

Cheers to the many rides to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment