Friday, July 15, 2016

Fourth Post: Building Confidence in Johor.

I did not get accustomed to riding in Malaysia so quickly as many would have expected. It took me a great deal of time, courage, and motivation before I was even ready to embark on my first "long distance" ride to Pontian Kecil.

As Vanga would have noticed, I was probably the most paranoid biker ever. That was last year when I accepted, and then subsequently declined the invitation to ride to Thailand. (I'm so sorry...! I chickened out.) I knew absolutely nothing about riding on foreign soil, how my bike would perform, what are the things I would face,... Look, I don't even how to pump petrol in Malaysia.

So, I took my first step into foreign territory on a September afternoon last year with my old problem-stricken Vespa GT200. I was headed for the newly opened Vespa Shop to have my bike checked. I was fed up with the weird noises I'm hearing and all other shops I've went to in Singapore was of no good.

Bella Vespa Sdn Bhd,  3 Jalan Idaman 9/2, Nusa Idaman, 82100 Nusajaya, Johor, Malaysia

My Vespa GT200 being worked on and examined.

It was determined that my Vespa was in a bad shape and the mechanic, though really helpful, was unable to have it fixed due to the lack of parts for this particular ancient model. So I headed back. It was quite a trip, really.

For my first ever trip, I did not top up my petrol. I took the Tuas Causeway and quickly realized I wasn't prepared for the tolls that I'm required to pay. My pillion and I had to dismount to purchase a T&G card somewhere. But what I've got to say was that we've bumped into countless helpful Malaysians along the way who helped us! One even asked me to tailgate him in order for me to pass the toll gantry to buy the T&G card which was at the other side of the toll station. To that fella who helped me, I'm eternally grateful!

3 months later (December 2015), I took to the roads of Johor again. Having arranged an oil change appointment and then failed to show up because of causeway jams, mum and I headed for dinner at Bella Vespa's vicinity.

Very quickly, the road conditions that I previously wasn't aware of started to surface. Portholes and other dangers everywhere. Tailgaters at every corner, trying to overtake me while I avoid the portholes. There, I met my very first accident.

Somewhere along Jalan Ceria, Johor, Malaysia
My Vespa flew over the porthole, landed safely, and suffered great damage.

Thank God, mum and I was safe! I had a quick fill up at Gelang Patah before crossing the causeway. Filling up at Gelang Patah Shell is pretty much the same as how things would be like in Singapore. You top up prior to payment.

It took me over three months for me to muster the courage to head back to Malaysia again on a motorcycle. Yes, I was that scared.

March, 2016. This time, I went with a friend who so willingly came with me despite my lack of experience. We headed to the very same spot I had the accident previously with my newly acquired MSX. Now guess what stupid mistake I've made during this trip...

Aifa Cafe, Jalan Susur Idaman, Johor, Malaysia

My brand new MSX 125 at Aifa Cafe, parking like a boss.

Yes, I forgot to stop for our passport to be stamped. It's kind of funny when we spoke the truth and the immigration officers refused to listen. Note: All the Malaysian bikers did not have to stop but Singaporeans must. It was a long stop at the immigration office but praise be to God the immigration officers let us off! :D

Few weeks after this (April 2016), I motivated myself for yet another try at entering Malaysia. Running through all the immigration procedures in my head, memorising every single turn and signboards I must see, I headed for Malaysia again. But this time, I've a goal in mind. A goal to head further...

Restoran Ho Zi, 41 Jalan Indah, 8/13 Taman Bukit Indah, 81200 Skudai, Johor, Malaysia

Praise be to God, I went and returned without a hitch. I successfully memorised all the routes, there and back. I had my petrol topped off at Gelang Patah on my return leg just before the immigration. Everything was smooth. This, my friends, was the spark that ignited the fire of exploration

Side Note: All these trips, I did not prepare additional locks because I had it parked right beside me. I was paranoid but I was too concerned about other aspects of riding that I totally disregarded the possibility of theft. Please do not learn from me. It was only after this that I started bringing locks to prevent any form of theft from happening.

Honestly, every trip into Malaysia will surely have its problems. But one thing I've learnt through all these was that God has been with me, wherever I go. Without the protection from God, I wouldn't be able to motivate myself to take these first steps, let alone to overcome all these challenges.

Every ride is a challenge to myself. Every ride is a lesson to push further. Every ride is God telling me, that He is watching over me. Every ride is a testimony.

To God be the Glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment